Dificulty: simple, Serving: 8, Preparation time: 1 hour 30 minutes, What we need: large pot
This chili uses pork sausage instead of beef for a nice twist.
- 2 TBSP vegetable oil
- 3 LBS pork sausage (no casings)
- 2 medium onions, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 8 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 medium jalapeño pepper, minced
- 1 small can of tomato paste
- 2 TBSP paprika
- 2 TBSP chili powder
- 1 TBSP cinnamon
- 1 TBSP cumin
- 1 TBSP dried oregano
- (2) 28-oz cans of diced tomatoes
- (2) 16-oz cans kidney beans, drained
- 2-3 cups water
- salt and pepper to taste
- shredded cheddar cheese (for topping/garnish)
- sour cream (for topping/garnish)
- In a large pot, heat the oil over medium-high heat.
- Add the sausage and brown for 13-15 minutes, breaking it up with a wooden spoon.
- Add 2 of the diced onions, the bell pepper, jalapeño pepper, and the garlic. Cook until the onion is translucent, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add the tomato paste and stir well to combine.
- Add the spices (except the salt and pepper) and stir well.
- Add the tomatoes, beans, and water. Start with 2 cups of water. Add more if you like your chili a bit soupier.
- Lower the heat to medium-low and cook for about an hour.
- Season with salt and pepper